Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chit chat update

Lots of random snippets of news in this post, hope it's not too mundane!

Another week, and plenty more socialising. Last week as well as the meal with Leanne I also had beer with Maeve, sushi with Mark and John, coffee with Olivia, alternative therapies with Tara and Dean, and watching the Canucks hockey game over beers with Mark, John and Haley, followed by playing Rock Band! Work also continues to be as entertaining as ever with Maxwell and his polls and theories and I'm learning more and more stuff every day.

I had a bizarre telephone banking experience a couple of weeks ago - if you've ever experienced telephone banking in the UK you'll see how amazing this was. I phoned VanCity to ask a question and within a few rings a very erm bubbly character answered; I think he said his name was Manuel (and no, I wasn't held in a queue for ages first!). He gave his advice on my question and then the conversation went off at a tangent. Part of my question involved me changing my address, and when he looked at my current address he proceeded to talk about the neighbourhood, asking if I'd ever been to a particular coffee shop a few blocks away from where I live (yes, he was local and not speaking to me from a foreign land!) He then went on to ask where I was from and to comment on my accent and say that he liked it and hadn't heard a British accent for a while! He then made more random conversation and tried to find more ways to help me (just so he could listen to my accent I reckon), before I finally managed to bring the conversation to an end! Very friendly service!

Today I went to the CBSA office in downtown Vancouver to clear my imported goods through customs (the one box I shipped over from the UK has now arrived in Vancouver so I had to clear it before I can receive it). It was a very quick little interview with a rather jolly CBSA guy and then afterwards I phoned the shipping agent to arrange delivery. Unfortunately the courier they use delivers in afternoons, Monday to Friday, between 12-5. Great. I'm working. And I can't think of anyone else who isn't who I could ask to come and potentially wait the whole afternoon here waiting for it to be delivered. It seems that the only option is to get it delivered to work and then struggle down to a taxi with it and get it home with me that way. I'll struggle to even lift it! So much for paying for door to door service, argh!

My feet have been aching from wearing my boots with their modest re-heeled heels (my feet are stupid, footwear never fits and when it does my feet are still in agony). So I've been looking for some flatt(ish) comfy footwer. On Saturday I bought some new shoes, which after wearing around the house a bit soon showed their true colours and I realised there was no way they would be venturing outside on my feet without extreme pain ensuing. So today after work they went back to the shop. After getting my refund I wandered a bit further down Robson and into a couple more shoe shops (there are quite a few down there). A short while and a couple of shoe shops later I emerged with 2 new pairs of footwear, both bought in the sales! One is a pair of Sketchers, trainer style but in black with some bling little jewelled bits on and they seem nice and comfy - half original price! And the second was a pair of black Rocket Dog shoes which were reduced to less than half price in the sale...and then they had a promotion on offering a further 30% off sale prices! As if that weren't enough, whilst I was in the store the staff received a fax advising them to change that to 50% off all sale prices!!! If I'd stayed there long enough maybe they'd have paid me to take them away?!!! (they were open till 9pm and this was about 5.45pm so it was possible...) But as it was I wanted to get home and I was so shocked that they fitted me - AND to get them in the sale, wow, that never happens to me. So I left that store with a pair of shoes as well - which cost me $16 (yes, sixteen!) including tax (just under £10!)!!!!!!!! And here they are:

Fine for the price I reckon, and amazingly they fit me. It made me forget all about the IT nightmares at work today - I managed to bugger up my printer settings and leave Quentin from IT scratching his head. That eventually got sorted but he saw how slow my PC is and said I can have a new one tomorrow! :-)

Language update: Tara's Yorkshire English is still coming on well and she's got into using "ta-ra" to say bye...!!! My Canadian still has a long way to go.

That's all for now, time to go get some shut eye - keep in touch and thanks for all your messages!

Love Adele xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment