February dawned and it was time for me to check out of the hotel and move into my new place. I'm sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with Tara, who is Canadian, on Oak Street at West 22nd - approx 15/20 minutes out of downtown on the bus. Also sharing the apartment are two cats, Osten and Nemo (Osten is the one pictured further down the page).

Tara has furnished the place apart from my bedroom, so as mentioned before I made a trip to Ikea! After much huffing and puffing to decide what to buy and to physically haul it onto the cart, I was the owner of my own bedroom furniture. I got the furniture delivered to the apartment and then spent last Sunday (moving in day) constructing my bed and chest of drawers - my first experience of flatpack furniture and not the best way to spend a Sunday in my opinion! On Monday I tackled the wardrobe and thankfully my new friend Olivia offered to come over and help - thanks for your help Olivia, I couldn't have done it without you! One door won't stay on its runners so still need to try and get that sorted, argh! It's taken a few days and a few more purchases but I am now unpacked, organised and settled into my new home :-)

Home sorted, and at the same time the job hunt was coming to an end! As mentioned in my previous post, I was contacted by one of the employment agencies at the end of January about a role, and had to wait over last weekend for it to be confirmed last Monday. Luckily it was confirmed, and I started last Tuesday! The job is working for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC - https://www.cpsbc.ca/ - which is the regulatory body which oversees the licensing of physicians and surgeons in the province. I'm working in the Registrations Department dealing with the applications for licensure. The people are really nice and although there's lots to learn I think I'm going to find it an interesting and enjoyable environment to work in. It's a 3 month contract to start with, although it's possible that it may lead to something longer term, especially with some new legislation coming into force on June 1st. I work downtown on Beatty Street, and there are a few other Brits there including one, Jenny, who has become a friend already and we go for lunch together (and sometimes dinner and drinks too!).
Today it's Tara's 30th birthday (my new roommate) - she's been working today but on Friday evening we went out for a meal with a group of her friends from her program at school at Cobre in Gastown, it was a lovely evening. Happy Birthday Tara, and thanks for making me feel so welcome in your home! :-)

I'll sign off by leaving you with a photo I took last weekend when I went over to Granville Island and then walked over the Granville bridge into downtown - it was a nice day to enjoy the views.
Just one piece of bad news so far: 'Celebration of Light', the annual summer series of firework displays has been cancelled this year, a victim of the tough economic times! I'm gutted, summer won't be the same without the fireworks in English Bay :-(
Hope you're all well, thanks for all the messages - I'm doing my best to get back to you personally as well as posting on here, so apologies to those I haven't got back to straight away but don't worry, I haven't forgotten!
Thinking of you all, big hugs,
Adele xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Osten - kvitosten eller brunosten? :P hoho.. Glad for å sjå at du har kome deg på plass, og at jobb er i boks :) Klem
ReplyDeleteNice post - Adelle Beatty ..Keep Posting
ReplyDeleteRon
Adelle Beatty
FreeWallpapers