Sunday, August 23, 2009

Another fun week!

Hi again everyone

Yes, after a long hiatus here's my second post in a week!

And what a great week it's been...

Monday saw the opening of the Canada Line, the new Skytrain line linking downtown Vancouver to Richmond and the airport. The opening afternoon gave the public the chance to ride the line for free, and they turned out in force! I had contemplated giving it a try until I got to Waterfront Station and heard that the wait was 2 hours - err no thanks, I can wait! Anyway, I went today instead and rode the whole length of the line to Richmond-Brighouse Station in just 25 minutes (downtown to the airport takes the same length of time too).



Brighouse refers to the name of the area in the centre of Richmond, which in turn was named after Samuel Brighouse (1836-1913) who was born in my home town - Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England!!! For those of you that don't know, there's also a town in West Yorkshire next to Huddersfield called Brighouse.









On Wednesday afternoon it was the annual College picnic - the office closed for the afternoon and we all headed to Stanley Park for a barbecue and an afternoon of fun and games in the sun! This year's theme was the Olympics, and each team had to pick a country to represent. I was on Team France and we wore berets, moustaches and stripey shirts and carried baguettes and a French flag. We came third overall and won the Team Spirit Award! Other teams represented Kazakhstan, Mexico, Germany, Greece and Canada. There were many olympic style events and we had so much fun - although there must have been some baffled tourists wondering what the hell was going on as they passed Prospect Point Picnic area...



More photos here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=299868&id=786825036&l=a0359d1fa7


On Thursday evening I went to a movie premiere with Olivia, who had got some free passes. The film was 'In the Loop' a British satirical comedy which provided plenty of laughs and a lot of bad language! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226774/

By Friday evening it was time to unwind so I had a therapeutic massage. I've been seeing a chiropractor recently to get some work done on the tightness in my upper back, neck and shoulders, and this combined with massages will hopefully help get rid of the stiffness and pain. So far it seems to be improving (the first visit to the chiropractor it was very loud and I was in agony, and even the massage hurt the first time). I go back to the chiropractor on Wednesday.

Yesterday was another beautiful day and Olivia and I took an afternoon trip to Bowen Island, just a short hop over the water from Vancouver. We took the quickest route which is the water taxi from Granville Island, it arrives in Snug Cove on Bowen Island in just 25 minutes after zooming across the water bouncing over the waves in a 12 seater speedboat - a bit James Bond! We had a wander and took the steep trail up to Artisan Square with its arty shops and cafes.


After enjoying a tasty lunch in Artisan Eats followed by hot chocolate and gourmet chocolates in the Chocolate Cafe we headed back down the hill and relaxed by Snug Cove harbour before taking the water taxi back to Vancouver, a very enjoyable and refined way to spend an afternoon!

That brings you pretty much up to date for my week. Tomorrow I start my new job at the College in the Prescription Review Program, back to training and feeling like a newbie again!



Take care and keep in touch,

Adele xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment