Saturday, March 28, 2009

Victoria visit


Last weekend I left Vancouver for the first time since arriving here in January, and went for a quick visit to Victoria on Vancouver Island. Saturday morning just before 10am I boarded the Pacific Coach Lines bus from Vancouver to Victoria. The bus drove down to Tsawassen where ther ferry sails from to go over to the Island. On the ferry passengers get off the bus to relax in the lounges and cafes during the sailing over to the Island, and as I climbed the stairs from the car-bus deck I bumped into Heather from work! 1 hour 35 minutes later we docked in Swartz Bay at 12.35pm, after which the bus drove us from there down to Victoria, arriving at 1.20pm.

At the bus station I was met by Joan and Eric, my Mum's aunt and uncle who live in Ontario but were on vacation spending March in Victoria. We walked up into town and went to The Bay for a light lunch, cuppa and a catch up chat. The weather was on our side and it was a beautiful sunny day so after that we went for a walk around the Inner Harbour (where we watched the street entertainer do his torch throwing) and then along to Fisherman's Wharf where we watched people feeding the seals in the harbour! From there we headed down to Beacon Hill Park and walked along the seawall and looked over to the USA, saw Mile Zero which is the start of the TransCanada Highway, met lots of friendly dogs out walking their owners, chatted with some ducks in the duckponds and then headed to the bus stop and caught the bus back to the hotel. In the evening we caught the bus from the hotel up to the Qualicum Mall and had dinner at Kelsey's.

On Sunday we left the hotel and walked to downtown along the Galloping Goose Trail. After another nice wander and a peek in the Tourist Information Centre we then had a cuppa. Early afternoon I met Nicola and Boyd - Nicola is a Brit who I worked with as a Rep when I did the ski season in Panorama when in Canada before, and Boyd is her Canadian husband. We had a nice sandwich for lunch before wandering around the shopping streets, eating ice cream and having a good catch up chat! Later in the afternoon I went to the bus station and caught the 1745 bus back to Vancouver, arriving home at 2130 after a lovely weekend break!

I'll be going back again with Mum and Dad again in June when they are over visiting. Speaking of which, work have kindly agreed to let me have a week's vacation in June when Mum and Dad are over visiting so I'm delighted about that :-) Work have now offered me a contract with them on maternity cover until July 2o10, so I'm no longer working through the temp agency. So now I get a proper salary, paid vacation, benefits, and flexitime (a day off every two weeks!) - it's a big relief. I work with some fantastic people so it's all good!

I think that's all for now - got to go and do my Norwegian tax return...

Keep in touch, still really missing you all lots,

Love Adele xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment