Monday, May 11, 2009

The past month...

Firstly, apologies that it's been so long since I last updated my blog - where's the past month gone? Anyway, that does at least mean that I have a decent amount of news to share...

Shortly after my last post my friend Mireya came to visit! I've known Mireya since May 2006, we met working as Inghams reps in Norway that summer and we both went back to our respective resorts to work again in summer 2007.
In summer 2008 we went back again but this time both worked in the main hotels in our resorts! Mireya spent the winter working for Inghams in Kimberley, BC and at the end of the season she did some travelling through the western US and Canada, and naturally included a couple of days in Vancouver in her itinerary :-)

The weather was fabulous so we got out and about and saw the best of what this city has to offer in sparking sunshine and bright blue skies, and also managed to fit in sushi and fish and chips (not at the same time) and a night out in a sports bar watching the Canucks' hockey game over some beers :-) It was a lovely couple of days and so great to see Mireya an spend time together. Mireya's now back in Norway for the summer - miss you love and hope you have a fantastic summer!

I've also managed to fit in plenty of meet-ups with friends - apart from Mireya I've also been spending time with Olivia, Gavin, Mark, John, Haley, Aimee and Jenny. It's always great to spend time with you all eating, drinking, chatting! Funny how it usually involves all three...and sometimes a hockey game on the big screen as well ;-)

Another major pastime over the past couple of weeks has been apartment hunting! Tara went away to Mexico for a week in mid April and although I do love her cats Osten and Nemo some of the time, for that week they drove me insane! Not wanting to live in a cat litter tray any longer I made the decision to move out and look for my own apartment for June 1st. Tara was very understanding about it and she also decided to look for her own 1-bedroom place rather than going through the process of looking for a suitable roommate again. After viewing a few places and much indecisiveness I found the right place just over a week ago and instantly decided it was 'the one' and put in an application. I waited a couple of nail biting days while the building manager checked out my references and did a credit check and then I got the green light and went to sign the lease last Wednesday! It's a 1 bedroom apartment in a low rise heritage building in trendy, leafy and convenient South Granville near all the swanky shopes! June 1st is moving day - I only have bedroom furniture so far (and money is going to be tight) so it will take a while to get it fully furnished, but hopefully I'll get there eventually and make it feel like home - and in the meantime I'll feel like a squatter! E-mail me if you want the address :-)

Last Saturday was the main event of Balding for Dollars, an annual charity event supporting BC Children's Hospital (which is just a few blocks away from where I live at the moment). My friend Mark has taken part for the past 3 years by being sponsored to shave his head, along with about 95 other generous people willing to lose their hair for this worthwhile cause. It was a beautiful, warm sunny Saturday - perfect weather to enjoy the stalls, the barbecue and the positive, supportive atmosphere. I left with my hair intact, but who knows - maybe next year...? http://bcchf.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=299149

We don't get the same public holidays in May in Canada as you do in the UK - instead of getting the first and last Mondays of the month we just get next Monday, May 18th, which is Victoria Day (we do get a day in July and also more holidays than the UK in the autumn though!). So next weekend's a long weekend, yay!
Speaking of holidays, loads of people I know (but not me) seem to have been or are going to Las Vegas - hope you enjoy/enjoyed yourselves in the sun! And while we're on the shout-outs, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Kathryn for tomorrow and Olivia for Wednesday, have loads of fun ladies! And congratulations to the Blades (Sheffield United FC for the uneducated) on making the play-off final at Wembley - I just hope you can go all the way this time and make it back to the Premiership...COME ON YOU BLADES!

The Canucks' Stanley Cup play-off run could be coming to an end though - as I type it's 3-3 against the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2nd period, and if the Canucks don't win tonight then they're knocked out...

Right, that's about it for now, I'm off to scoff the final Murray Mint of the handful I acquired at work from Dr. Phillips after his latest jaunt to Europe. Hope you're all well, keep in touch - I want to hear all your news too!

Love Adele xx

P.S. I'm still going to yoga about once a week, the latest class was Hatha with Ingrid last night and it was the best class so far, I really enjoyed it! The stretches felt great and by the end I felt really revitalized and relaxed - and it definitely did plenty of toning :-)

1 comment:

  1. Leigh Anne Isaac19 June 2009 at 17:48

    HI Adele,
    Thanks for your blog post. I met Mireya this winter at Kimberley, BC. She sent me a postcard from Norwary and I was wondering if we could chat via email? I would love to get her contact information.
    Thanks!
    Leigh Anne Isaac

    ReplyDelete